People are sometimes surprised how simple it is to get to Inverness here in the heart of the Scottish Highlands. A ninety-minute flight from London for example will land visitors at Inverness Airport. Of course, there are also road and train options right into the city: it means getting to this unique scenic destination has never been easier.
Here is some key information to help you plan your journey well – and join us on the start line!
Provides direct flights from across the UK and Ireland to the capital of the Highlands and there are regular train and bus services linking Inverness to major cities including Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Aberdeen.
Travel by plane
Inverness Airport is located at Dalcross, 9 miles east of Inverness close to the A96 Inverness-Aberdeen trunk road. It has a regular bus service, taking arrivals into the city, whilst there are also a number of taxi options.
Flights to Inverness:
Inverness Airport is the air gateway to the Highlands. The following UK destinations are served by scheduled flights to Inverness airport.
- London Gatwick – Flybe – www.flybe.com – 0871 700 0535
- London Gatwick – easyJet – www.easyjet.co.uk – 0871 244 2366
- London Luton – easyJet
- Belfast – Flybe
- Bristol – easyJet
- Birmingham – Flybe
- Manchester – Flybe
- Southampton – Flybe
- Jersey – Flybe
- Amsterdam – Flybe
- Dussledorf – Lufthansa – www.lufthansa.com – 0871 945 9747
Flights to Scotland
This lists a selection of flights into Scotland from Europe and beyond. Many more routes into Scotland from European, USA and other worldwide destinations can be found at: www.visitscotland.com or by visiting individual airport’s websites.
- Aberdeen www.aberdeenairport.com:
- Amsterdam – KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (www.klm.com/)
- Copenhagen – Scandinavian Airlines (www.flysas.com/)
- Paris – Air France (www.airfrance.co.uk)
- Edinburgh – www.edinburghairport.com/
- Amsterdam – easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk)
- Madrid – easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk/)
- Milan – easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk)
- Munich – easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk)
- New York – Continental Airlines (www.continental.com)
- Nice -easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk)
- Glasgow – www.glasgowairport.com
- Barcelona - easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk/)
- Berlin – easyjet (www.easyjet.co.uk)
- Reykjavik – Icelandair (www.icelandair.co.uk)
- Arnold Clark - www.arnoldclark.co.uk/ - 01463 236200
- Inverness Hertz - www.hertz.co.uk- 01463 711 479
- Focus Rental – www.focusvehiclerental.co.uk – 01463 236684
- Budget-www.budget.co.uk – 01463 713 333
A bus service operates every 30 minutes from the airport into Inverness city centre. For timetables visit www.stagecoachbus.com or call 01463 710555.
There are regular services to Inverness from most major cities including Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Aberdeen. The train station is situated just off Academy Street in the town centre.
- National Rail Enquiries – www.nationalrail.co.uk - 08457 48 49 50
- First Scotrail – www.scotrail.co.uk - 08457 550033
The main bus station which has recently been upgraded with increased capacity is also just off Academy Street in Inverness.
- Citylink – www.citylink.co.uk/ - 0871 266 33 33
- National Express – www.nationalexpress.co.uk/ - 08717 818178
- Megabus – www.megabus.co.uk/ - 0900 1600900
Taxis are available at Inverness airport and in the town centre:
- City Taxis Inverness - www.citytaxisinverness.co.uk – 01463 222555
- Inverness Taxi – www.inverness-taxis.com - 01463 222222
- Tartan Taxis – www.tartantaxis.co.uk – 01463 222 777
The main accesses are:
From Edinburgh – M9 then A9.
From Glasgow there is a choice of routes. The most direct is A/M80 via Stirling, then M9 to Perth, and A9 to Inverness. Or you can indulge in the scenic delights of the A82 via Loch Lomond, Rannoch Moor, Glencoe then past Fort William and Ben Nevis, before skirting the western side of Loch Ness virtually all the way. From Fort Augustus there is also the option of turning right, and then following the route of the Loch Ness Marathon up the southern side of Loch Ness through Foyers, and taking the Dores Road into Inverness.
From Aberdeen – A96 to Inverness.
From the south – M1/A1 to Edinburgh then as above, or M6/M74/M73 then A/M80 and onward as above.
How to get to Inverness Sports Centre
Inverness Sports Centre is approx 1 mile from the bus and train stations and 11 miles from the airport. View Inverness Sports Centre on Google Maps>